View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2001, 01:12 (Ref:117197)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The quest of finding the greatest driver of eras using objective driver comparisons

Please read carefully. I started this thread in hopes of providing a means to determine the greatest drivers of all-time in any form of motorsport (F1, NASCAR, IndyCars, sports cars, sprint cars, etc).

Important! However, instead of the usual subjective BS "Driver X is better than driver Y because he won more races or championships," I would like this thread to contain meaningful and objective factual driver comparisons, such as the case when two great drivers shared the same car (which is quite common for endurance sports cars races), drove for the same team or to a less ideal situation, drove the same make/type of car.

Also eligible, situations where a certain driver produced with a car that wasn't well suited for a particular circuit (ie had too little horsepower or too much) when compared to another driver. Or when a driver has gone on record to say that a particular driver was better than them.

So, what I would like you to do is follow a certain format under the ideas above and start your response like the example below:

Jim Clark > Jackie Stewart

Jackie has said that he believes Jimmy was the better driver between the two Scots.

Or

Juan Manuel Fangio > Stirling Moss

Fangio and Moss shared a Mercedes Benz 300 SLR at _________ and Fangio produced the fastest time.

Hopefully, this will stimulate the gathering of useful info for us to determine who the greatest drivers in a particular era were since statistics don't tell the whole story.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 15 Jul 2001 at 01:18.