Thread: My Tracks
View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2004, 02:41 (Ref:1174928)   #7326
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, here's my latest-I know I'm basing it off an outdated version (CG's v. 2)-but I think I have quite an interesting idea here

Yeah, I let the detail get a little bit out of hand, but this is the first track I've done in a long time

Plus I don't think it'll be a bad audition to get the detail job later.
(Though not the best detail I've done/can do)

I lengthened the run into the infield as had been suggested, but kept the same late-apexer. This let me add two shortcuts, one of which required a separate pitlane, also added. I then modified the esses after by turning them into a big 180-degree corner. I turned the first corner into a decreasng-radius, tightened turn 2, and loosened turn 4. I added a tighter turn in the middle of the looong turn/straight after turn 2 in place of a chicane that would have ruined the section. I slightly altered the last corner as well. Last (and maybe least), I placed a chicane on the long main straight.
I defined "the snail" more by turning it into a downhill section leading to a tunnel under the oval I decided to make after seeing the shape made by the large corner and the rest of that space of the track. The oval would make a nice site for NASCAR or testing for manufacturers-even magazines-and would have totally different corners-the larger one being harder as it is only banked at the entrance and exit; it flattens out at the top/center to incorporate the last straight of the road course... the other corner would be only slightly banked, to make the turn more natural for the road course. Another interesting feature is that, like the rest of the the track, the oval runs in a clockwise direction. The oval conveniently uses the same pitlane/paddock as the alternate club circuit.

After this, I still thought the track was a bit short-so added a tight, mountain section [which includes a new hairpin as both the originals had been replaced and was influenced by the trial mountain track of the gran turismo series (come to think of it, the first turn seems like the first of Mid-Field from the same game-and the oval would be like the test oval)] after turn 4 and another shortcut.

I also added a dragstrip (keeping mind to scale, too ;-) )-but I kept it separate from the main straight of the road course instead merging it with the pitlane. I made a very large paddock area for both this and the main circuit above the strip. The main road heading into the track goes through the paddock, so those entering may see lots before they even arrive. The road leads under the stands (on the infield) and tracks, coming to large open parking and camping areas.

Enough of that; what do you think?
My only regret is that I'm so far behind

Ah yes, one last thing-where do we want this sucker to be placed?

Last edited by RacerGuy2; 9 Dec 2004 at 02:48.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)