View Single Post
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1179683)   #8
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, here's the latest (as far as I can tell): The proposed race track complex (circuit, drag strip and speedway) was knocked back by Port Stephens Council and others on 18 points of contention (I won't bore you with the details) but to do with traffic management on the Pacific Highway, pollution run-off into Grahamstown Dam and noise.
Peter Lee, the developer, has tried to meet council individually on these issues but recently announced he would take PSC to the Land and Environment Court, most likely sometime next year.
In the meantime, speedway types are looking for another location for a track to replace the Tomago facility sold-off by owner David lander about two years ago. They have looked at locations near Cessnock and also at Williamtown near the airport.
The former Newcastle Speedway will never be revived in its present location. It is currently a collection of warehouses and small businesses and is still under development.
Ironically, a friend of mine who used to race litre cars now works for Komatsu. His office is about where he used to set-up in the old pit area and if he goes upstairs he can look over what remains of the track.
As for a street race in Newcastle, believe me when I say it won't happen. Our council couldn't organise a chook raffle in a pub on Friday night so trying to get their heads around a car race meeting would be totally impossible.
A couple of weeks back a local promoter was full-on with plans to run Super Moto in EnergyAustralia Stadium car park. Council shut him down two days before it was due to happen. Their technicality cost this bloke somewhere between $20,000 and $50,000.