View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1204948)   #131
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hi,

I have stripped off the panels but yes I still have them, I also bought a new front spoiler from the original manufacture Diversfied Glass Products who still have the original moulds or did up to a couple of years ago. I really do not understand what they were thiking about when they changed the rear quarters for glass, they were only lightweight steel skins anyhow and would have saved maybe 20 or 30 ibs max and weight saving on the rear which is not where you want it, lot of expense and bother for very little gain I would have thought. The whole front end was glass anyhow apart from the bonnet which was orignally steel as was the boot lid. Just changing these and leaving the quarters would make more sense to me. They also changed the door skins from steel to fibreglass (must have saved another 10 lbs max, big deal) I am going to change everything back to original as soon as I have finished my other 2nd gen historic off and that is well underway now with new engine installed. I reckon on a car weighing well over 3000ibs this buchery saved about 40 ibs max and at the end of the day would have not made any difference especially as I said it was 100% off the rear end, the mind boggles.

What seat do you have in yours? Some doughnut decided on mine that he diid not like the beautifully fabricated seat mounts that are integrally welded to the main space frame and bolted it direct to the thin skin (not orignal chevy all fabricated) lightweight floor panel.

I am in the signs and graphics business and will be doing a full set of period decals for the old girl if I ever get to that stage, so if you want to do a proper restore and ever get to that stage let me know I may be able to supply you.

Do you still have the dry sump gear or has that disappeared. Mine had a wet sump motor installed that has been rebuilt and gone in the classic prepared car. I got lucky on ebay and bought the orginal Weaver sump, period Mooneyes tank, sump pan and all the Aeroqup from a buyer in the US.