View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2001, 15:21 (Ref:125624)   #37
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
A good pilot is an ego-driven, self-centred, totally dominating person (see TGF) who allows absolutely no one to have an opinion but him. ... A good boss has to listen to every opinion, change his thinking to suit the situation.... Sir Jackie Stewart being the exception that proves the rule, perhaps...
I'm not sure I agree with Liz's evaluation, although it may be a generalization that points to tendancies that are often true. (BTW, where would Bobby Rahal fit in?) Haven't there been successful pilots who were nice guys? Haven't there been successful team owners/managers who are cold-hearted scoundrels, who don't want to hear opinions other than their own? My own feeling is "it takes all kinds." In many sports, successful managers can inspire loyalty by being open and reasonable or can instill fear by being dictatorial and Machiavellian. Both ways have been shown to work, and maybe aspects of both are necessary in varying proportions -- i.e., managerial personalities fall along a bell curve. Conductors tend to be more dictatorial. Film directors can go either way. Ditto company chief exectives. Politicians are always devious and self-centered. In any case, judging by Diniz's poor driving and arrogant excuses after accidents, I don't think he'll be a friendly, open-minded type of manager.