View Single Post
Old 30 May 2000, 05:14 (Ref:12656)   #1
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

A while ago, in the Tech forum, I put across my concern at having my automatic transmission replaced by someone other than myself... I decided that what happened to me in the end, might be a good topic/laugh to post on here..

The decision had been made, I had picked out a recommended auto transmission repair shop, and I had dutifully left my beloved car in thier hands...to have a simple automatic transmission replacement...It was supposed to take a day..drop it off in the morning, collect it that night.

About 3.00pm I rang them to check if the car would be finished that night as advised...alas no..the new (reco'd) transmission had a problem changing to 2nd.. they would need to adjust it and test drive it...the car would not be ready until the next day.

Next day, whilst being test driven by the "apprentice" the car's throttle stuck. After swearing at me down the phone (Its all my fault the apprentice was nearly killed..because it was my car) they proceeded to tell me they would fix the Carbie problem, and give me back my car...

Next day, advised that they had made a mistake whilst working on my carbie, that they had no idea how to fix what they had done, and that it would have to be sent off to a carbie shop to be fixed...(More swearing at me - because it was costing them money to fix my car...and it was all my fault, because it was my car).

Two days later, they get the carbie back, put it on the car (nevermind tuning it)..take the car for a test drive. Apprentice backs it into the workshop, over some scrap metal on the workshop floor, and blows both my back tyres. Car has to go and get two brand new back tyres - at thier expense.(Much more delightful swearing at me down the phone...cause it all my fault)

Next day, I pick up my car...its out of tune, and running like complete hell. Take it straight round to Dads...we fix it. Next morning, I notice a gigantic pool of red transmission fluid where I parked the car... back it goes to the Workshop...(At this point, I am told that a few "drops" of oil is nothing...I am paranoid)..up on the hoist the car goes..and all down the arm of a mechanic, runs boiling hot transmission fluid..dipstick gromit was not put in correctly, thus leaking fluid...problem solved.

Three months later...transmission is suspicious... and I just dont want to think about it.

------------

Do tell...anyone else got nightmare service stories?