View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1344927)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
I said 'Several' NASCAR drivers simply because I don't follow the series and don't know enough to about them to differentiate between 'great' and 'legendary'. Also the NASCAR publicity machine focuses on drivers and creates 'instant legends'.

I put Jim Clark in the non-legends to emphasise the difference I was trying to draw between 'great' and 'legendary'. He, Stewart and Piquet appear on anybody's list of 'greats' but I feel none has that special extra 'something' to be a legend.

Curiously, from an Indianapolis perspective Jim Clark is a legend because he stands out. His quiet unassuming manner was a contrast with the brash American driver stereotype; he came in a 'funny' foreign car - and won; he spun the car, caught the spin and carried on, which was something you just couldn't do in a traditional Indianapolis roadster - if you spun you either went into the wall or spun down into the infield- so they talked about it and effectively said 'wow!'

You don't have to be a 'great' to qualify as a legend. Pierre Levegh qualifies for his 1952 Le Mans drive coupled with his tragic death.
O.K. I understand; I was hoping to tease a few NASCAR names out of you!

From my dictionary, I learn that one of the defintions of 'legend' is ' person, act, or thing that inspires legends'! And 'legendary' is 'celebrated as if in a legend, very famous'. On that basis, I would have thought Clark fills that criteria. I take your point about Levegh though; makes me wonder whether legend is the right word to be using, since it seems that even in the context of motor racing we have different understandings of its meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley
Calling these people legends is always going to be controversial - most legends are mythical, I think it should really be a question about outstanding talents in any period (e.g. the dominant sports people of their times - Fangio, Clark, Senna etc all tended to stand out because of their consistant good results, as Schumacher does now (but I still feel his situation is far more condusive to that than it has been for other people) and as did people like Mohammed Ali in other fields).
Yes, would tend to agree with that. As we have said before on similar threads, it's an impossible task to compare drivers from different periods but we always generate a lot of discussion and fun trying!