View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1404526)   #8
*J*
Rookie

*J* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
J

Next is the third spring which requires more linkage and is anchored to the chassis and the other typically to a T-bar style ARB (anti-roll bar). When the chassis moves up and down it moves the shaft in or out. You can utilize a bushing type set-up with bump rubbers or an actual small damper that is purpose built. It can be used on the front or rear or both of the race car. It was used wide spread in Champ car and mostly on the rear to aid in traction. Let me know if you would like to know more about it.
Using a shaft that goes into a small bushing is a very cost effective way of doing it just to experiment with.
Good luck.
Hey nitrous and Lukin, cheers for the advice, however its a tad late now! cheers all the same.

I was undertaking a dissertation project for my MEng degree when i asked the question, i spent an academic year working on it and ended up doing more or less what Nitrous has described here. I designed the system and proved it within ADAMS/Car.

Its a complicated subject, but very interesting, and one where plenty of gains can be made.

Cheers
J