View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2001, 23:35 (Ref:147249)   #25
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Don't worry - the guy from the 'Super Crash-it Formula Fords' was okay, but he was stretchered off as a precaution so they could have a look at his neck in the medical unit..

Anyway - what a fantastic weekend! We totally failed to get to see any stock cars on Friday, had a few beers in a local Silverstone pub instead and slept in a Travelodge (me, Maisie, Craig). Jonny and Maria Brown got completely plastered and Jonny spent a large amount of time sniffing an Earl Grey tea bag (make of that what you will )

Had a good time on Saturday qualifying.. I was right up there with everyone else, and seemed to be gaining on a few people throughout the session, only to be placed 19th.. The people I was following managed 10th and 15th! There were quite a few others out of position too.

First race was on the Saturday, and a few more people turned up to watch, including Paul Lomax and Mark Fish! I got a pretty good start, and gained a few places whilst simultaneously losing some as well. Cars were switching positions on a corner-by-corner basis - and we were 5 abreast on the straights.. Some quality slides and overtaking around Brooklands and Luffield..

At one point Dom Spurr forced me wide into the path of a traffic cone at Becketts, and I carried it all the way down to the apex of Luffied, grinding it down in the process. Eventually spat it out of the side of the car in two pieces! Murderer!

Lots of carnage up and down the field, with bits of bodywork and wheel arches flying through the air! At least 2 cars were beyond repair for the day after, and some of the others were up all night trying to beat/gaffer tape their cars back into shape. I finished 17th..

Later on in the day there was a quick dash to Buckingham for petrol and BBQ supplies.. BAR Babe's P(e)ug(e)ot was on the bump stops with all the junk she keeps in the back Locals were frightened, not for the first time.. Back to the circuit, and there were people drinking all over the paddock, or riding scooters.. Eventually ended up with a Mighty Minis food fight in the bar with grapes

Lorna, Craig, and Ruth (BAR Babe) pitched their tents right in front of the paddock diner, and we had a BBQ near the telephone kiosks! Good job security were in a good mood

Sunday's race was pretty eventful, but a bit cleaner than the first one.. Another fairly good start, and a better run through Copse, meant that I gained a few places, and was well up on a pack of about 5-6 Minis.. Due to the nature of Silverstone national, with it's long straights, the people behind were able to tuck in behind me and take advantage of the slipstream down the straights. About 7 or 8 Minis would then try to file down to 1 at a time through the Brooklands/Luffied section - invariably resulting in locked brakes, massive slides, lots of cars on the grass, and drivers that were normally at the front were squabbling for midfield positions.

After a pretty hectic race, and some doorhandling - but no damage - I finished up 14th.. My fast time was within 2 tenths of the leader, so I'm pretty pleased with that.. The top 15 or so cars were separated by a second, and most people's best time were within a second - it was close racing.. Also, with two more signatures on my licence, I could take my novice cross (target) off! Par-tay

Finished the day off by watching some other good racing, although I'm sorry I missed Paul's race - it looked, ermm - eventful!

Next Mighty Mini/Super Coupe race - 14th October at Snetterton.. Don't miss it!

Last edited by Chris Y; 16 Sep 2001 at 23:38.