View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1573324)   #61
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug05
I would be suprised if Europe recieves local HQ, APCC etc racing on their tv screens!
APCC was getting on European screens before Procar went away, as a part of their overseas TV deal. I'm not sure whether they still do. Wasn't Trackside shown on MotorsTV as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moyse
cos that would be just stupid of me to say! but because the aussies got all tetchy when Non-aussie cars entered and thrashed the pants of Ford and Holden. Changing the rules/Banning Nissan and BMW because their cars were too quick for their aussie counter parts
Ford/Holden/Shell/Channel 7 railroaded the rules through based on the Ford vs Holden tradition (even though that was forged with plenty of other makes on the track), and the fact they all threatened to pull out if CAMS didn't do what they said (CAMS were likely to announce Class 2 regulations ie...Super Touring for 1993)

For all intents and purposes i can understand the change, Group A worldwide had died, people wanted to see a Falcon in there, and turbocharging was disappearing from motorsport around the world. So we lost the Sierra's and Nissan GTRs......

The thing i've never understood is why they felt the need to rid it of all bar Ford and Holden. BMW were still supporting the championship in 1993 with a four-car works effort, and the cars (until they ballasted the M3 out of contention) seemed quite comparable (V8s in 1993-spec, M3 in German Group A spec). Imagine the possibilties if they chose to run with this, maybe even have tried a tie-up with the DTM (maybe they'd have never gone down the Class 1 path?), which had Mercedes' and Opel's and Audi's with a V8 (even better, though admittedly 4WD). Maybe Nissan might have stuck around with a RWD/NA version of one of their models. Then have actually embraced a class B for 2 litre cars and let it grow........... the racing could have been fantastic.

Instead they decided to continually ballast the works BMW's out of contention (and continue telling them they're not wanted), even though BMW had made a bigger committment than Ford or Holden to the 1993 championship!!!

Anyway, that is way off topic and for another time and thread........Back on topic;

I certainly wouldn't say the current state of touring car racing in Europe is any better than V8Supercars down here, but i fail to see how the racing in V8Supercars is any better than what is in Europe.

And lets be honest, the organising bodies of any of the current top touring car series can't have too much faith in the racing if they have to resort to reverse grids (V8s, BTCC, WTCC) and success ballast (in BTCC and WTCC)