View Single Post
Old 8 Jun 2006, 02:52 (Ref:1629662)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek
Was this not working too well on the weekend, because I saw a number of the teams fiddling around with aerials trying to get better reception
Tell me about it.

A combination of the main transmitter for the TV side of things going faulty (we think a recent lightning strike could be the culprit as a PA amp died the previous weekend) and the local birdlife eating the antenna cabling was the cause and we eventually found and fixed it all fairly early on Sunday morning. Mind you we did send someone to Melbourne on Saturday night to pick up a replacement transmitter which arrived at 11:00pm.

Someone was causing a major problem for everyone, including the TV guys, with a high powered radio signal which caused some grief for the TV signal it seemed to get worse whenever the V8's were on track.

Considering the amount of work required for an event of this size and having only about 8-9 weeks to organise it I think the staff & club members did an excellent job. Yes things didn't quite go to plan at times but when they did pop up they were dealt with quickly.

A race meeting is like a graceful swan gliding across a lake, it's looks so graceful as it gently floats along but in reality it's kicking like buggery under the water to do it.

And Marcus I was based in the old control tower building over the weekend (when I wasn't fixing things) so you were probably sitting right next to me