View Single Post
Old 21 Oct 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1744295)   #27
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May you be thinking about Swede Savage's crash at Indy, Nicky?
If so, Savage died a few days later, but I don't recall his exact injuries.

Now, Paul Dana's crash... That is absolutely the worst kind of crash in open-wheel racing, as we saw in Zanardi's crash, as the aerodynamic shape of cars makes them rather small at the front, concentrating all the energy on the nose cone hitting the other car.

It is possible that in the Heidfeld-Sato F1crash at Austria 2002, Sato was saved from any injuries due to the fact that he was hit with the rear of Heidfeld's car, thus having a bigger impact zone (rear wing, gearbox, suspension elements). Sato's cockpit side was cracked, though, and the steering wheel flew out in the impact.

But unlike Zanardi's crash, there were no pictures released of Dana's crash, which makes it the more difficult to analyse it. How much broken was the car? Did parts hit the driver? There is a video but it isn't as crystal clear as the Zanardi or Sato incidents. I think there must be a line of respect for families of deceased drivers, but not to the point of not even showing an image (or a drawing!) of cars crashed.

Surely the people that matter in terms of safety have seen the cars, but I do not understand this policy of censorship. I'm not asking for pictures of drivers that have crashed, we just want to know why things happen.

Tony Renna's crash is another case of a fatal crash without hardly any information.