Old 17 Feb 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1843647)   #23
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
I see a Canadian, a Belgian and a Dutchman have all had bad things happen at lunchtime.
Have we all just been lucky so far in the UK?

Brands and the infamous wheelie truck comes to mind, but it was the year before I started, so I don't know exactly what happened.
During the Brands Hatch Truck GP there was a major incident involving three trucks between posts 8 and 9 (Bottom Straight). One of the trucks had a length of Armco actually piercing through the cab, luckily the driver was uninjured. Everything had been scrambled to the scene, and as there would be a long delay, it was decided tyo keep the crowd happy with Steve Murty's "wheelie" truck. This truck was specially designed to run wheelies, ie with the front wheels 6-8 feet in the air. As Steve passed the start gantry, approaching Paddock Bend on one of his runs, he dropped out of the wheelie, but then rolled onto his roof,just before post 2.

I immediately called for Rescue, etc. on the radio, but as they were all busy at the other incident, it took a while for any reaction. There were a number of worrying things about the crash, inckuding the two gas bottles which were used to create flames through the exhaust. However, this was a number of years back, and I believe lessons were learnt.