View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1952660)   #27
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
That is true, with the possible exception of the paddock access (most meetings dont have a pit lane walkabout anyway)

However, I agree with mark on the wider point that F1 seems to think it demands special treatment on just about everything, and I for one don't think that it, or any other series for that matter should get anything different to what anyone else gets.
But you've never been to one so you're just repeating what other folks have said to you aren't you?

We've done this at length in the past and this thread is not the place for this discussion.

Of course F1 is different, it's a highly promoted, "premiership" package that goes around the world. They need things to work in the same way at every circuit so that they have consitency for the vast numbers of people involved. This will happen regardless of local practice and regardless of whether a procedure or process makes sense.

At a GP you will quite likely be asked to do things that don't make sense to you and that's because it fits in the bigger picture which you are not involved in and have no knowledge of.

Whatever you think of F1 as a form of motorsport, business or entertainment (and that's a whole different debate!) - it is different. It's not necessarily beter but it's different and that means things are done differently.

At the end of the day it is just another train set, but its their (FIA/FOM/IMSA etc) train set and they can run it in the way that they want to and much as we hate to admit it in the big scheme of things we are little fishies.

My standard advice is that everyone should do one GP (if it interests them), some people love it, some people can't stand the environment - if you do one and don't like it take the advantage of a weekend off or go somewhere else!