United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Any comments on my Pocono in post 1?
Oh right. Sorry 'bout that!

Ahem...

The thing about Pocono is that its straights are so long and the turns are so varied, that there's a lot of potential for a top-class road course here. Problem is the current one (not yours, the real one) is just plain boring. While this helps, it still has some things that the current road course has that bothers me, that being very slow corners. So let's go in order of what turns you would hit first:

- Andretti: After a tight 90-degree first turn (which because the main straight is wide enough, there could be some bottlenecking at the start), the last thing I'd want to see next is another 90-degree turn in the opposite direction. It reminds me of some turns you would hit in, say, Seattle Circuit on Gran Turismo. Of course that has elevation changes (not to mention it's fake) to make up for it. But this is more than likely going to be pretty flat all around the circuit (sans banking, which almost all has been ommitted in this layout). Andretti by far needs to be SERIOUSLY opened up. I'd like to see something like this:

It would be best to leave the first turn tight to break the speeds coming off of Big Bend.

- Franklin Bends: IMO it would be better making this completely flush next to Oval Turn 1. In other words, have a section on the inside of the oval banking paved and have that as a nice, constant but flat turn. And this would help the course doubly. To be honest, the fact that Pocono's Turn 1 doesn't have an apron on the bottom for slow cars out of the pits to stay down on frightens me. During oval races, it's the bottom apron for cars coming out of the pits. For road races, it IS the track!

- Conrad Chicane: Probably not necessary, but if you must, better to have it as more of a tyre/kerb chicane instead of a permanent Infield-to-outfield set of "90 degree"ers.

- Indianapolis/Daytona/Pirate: Doesn't look all that exciting more than added just to go around Tunnel Curve, one of the turns I think should definitely be utilized in a Pocono road circuit. My idea: Have a neat infield section (not just chicanes and brief sections off the oval), starting somewhere between Conrad Chicane and the last 1/3-1/4 of Long Pond Straight, weaving through the infield (go nuts, it's pretty big, actually), coming out right before Tunnel Curve, not too tight to have the cars literally crawling through Tunnel, but enough so the cars aren't too fast coming through North Straight into Steel, something like this:

- Steel-Eagle-Big Bend: I like it, Eagle just needs to be opened up a little bit for drivers to really get a feel for using the oval section.

It's a good start, I'd just like to see a lot more of the infield utilized!