Old 9 Aug 2007, 05:20 (Ref:1984630)   #20
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
According to the results sheets I have, there were at least 4 RT21s in Australia for the start of Formula Holden in 1989. One for John Briggs, one for Tony Blanche, one for Simon Kane, and the other was the Dave Mawer car.

The Simon Kane car was also driven by Neil Crompton, in a one-off drive at the 1991 AGP meeting, where he finished second.

The Tony Blanche car became one half of the Thalgo-backed team in 1990-91, and was driven by Blanche, Mark Larkham and Mark McLaughlin.

The Dave Mawer car was driven by various drivers, including Elwyn Bickley (at it's first race), John Smith (who damaged the car very badly in an practice accident at the Phillip Island round in 1990), sports sedan racer Keith Carling, and Rohan Onslow.

I can't find any record of anyone other than John Briggs driving the John Briggs car

Oddly enough, I can't find any record of all four cars appearing in the same race until the 1991 AGP meeting (however, I don't have results from the 1989 AGP meeting).

Also, as a sidenote, I was watching my tape of the first FH race today, and John Smith (who was guest commentating) mentioned that Rohan Onslow's RT20 was an ex-Pavesi car.

If my memory is correct, the briggs car was converted by K&A engineering, this car became the second Thalgo car beside Blanche, briggs car was driven by Larko at Winton. The Blanche car was converted by Graham Watson at Ralt Australia. Simon Kanes car and Dave Mawers were jointly converted by myself, Elwyn Bickley and Dave Mawer.

Onlows RT20 was a Pavesi car, owned by Peter Boylan, was later driven by Neil Crompton in Dulux colours.

Smithy crashed Dave Mawers car twice, once at Philip Island and also at Amaroo, which required a new tub.

At the time 1989/90 the shortage of spares required we all work together to keep the cars on the track. In 89 at Winton Simon Kane left the road at the esses before the old main straight and went straight into about a foot of water. The water filled the sidepods, ripped them off the car, split the undertray clean in half. The car looked a mess but Dave Mawer stripped all the parts off his car in Sydney, Elwyn Bickley drove them down to Winton over night, and we had the car back on the track the next morning. Good teamwork and mateship.