View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2002, 14:01 (Ref:203625)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Moss, Stirling (Sir)

Hi people.
I am a regular visitor to a trivia site which has a real time chat applet and voice communications as well for readers to ask questions , its fun but not motorsport based which can broaden your horizons

anyway I was there the other day and the question came up who won the 1950 world drivers championship , and no one knew ...well of course i jumped all over it with Giuseppe farina and won the points but as the room is mainly UK based I was very surprised at how many people said Stirling Moss.
Of course i corrected them by saying that Mr . Moss , great as he was never actually won a world drivers championship , and everyone was aghast at this , seems to me that the general public hold him such high asteem that they have credited him with at least 2 championships.

but that aside , I thought i would post a topic and get peoples thoughts on Stirling and his awesome career and why he was held in such high asteem and still is I might add

sadly I havent seen alot of footage of him driving , but what I have seen was pretty good but was impresses me most about him is his character , he seems a real gentlemen , very well spoken and very intelligent and knows what he is talking about on whatever it maybe he is talking about.
I enjoy listening to him talk about the old days of racing against the likes of Fangio and the way he just describes what was happening left me wanting more and i could listen to him all day , it really is a shame that i havent seen more of his career on film at all and that he never won a title is a shame.

but yet why did this man who never won a title held in such high regard in especially in England???

I dont know and thought maybe someone who perhaps is in England ( or possibly even not) and knows more about this great mans career could elaborate a bit more, or even if you a great story or memory about Stirling you could post it here and share with us all what it is about him that everybody adores .

Cheers
Marcus