Thread: Hans Device
View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2101286)   #42
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Like Scrutineer says,HANS will not work without everything else being made for the purpose,what are the chances of hitting a solid object at 200mph in the sort of cars we use.If you are working in a cockpit that is designed for HANS,then thats fine by me.
Two issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS website
I race on a short track with relatively low speeds. Do I need a HANS®? Studies show serious head and neck injuries happen at impact speeds as low as 35mph. On short tracks with tight turns it is easy to be "Q-balled" almost straight into the wall at similar or higher speeds.

What type of shoulder belts work best with a HANS®? As the inventors, developers and only marketers of HANS® devices worldwide, we recommend any 3" belts for use with HANS® devices. Based upon better stretch and aging characteristics, we prefer that drivers use polyester belts. However, both nylon and polyester work fine with HANS® devices.

My belts sometimes slip off the device. What's wrong?
Properly mounted belts do not slip off the device. If your shoulder belts will not stay securely over the device when you are firmly belted in chances are that you do not have the shoulder belt mounts properly located in your chassis. Please review the section of the owner's manual concerning shoulder belt mounting.
The tricky point about HANS fitting for some might seem to be that it should not touch the seat. Another issue might be the distance between the seat belt shoulder harness mounting points and the driver which should be "close". Good advice anyway.

Regards

Jim