View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2230603)   #32
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just caught this thread after quite an absence.

I ran three Midgets in Modsports back in the early 70s (71-73). Drivers, Peter Beech, Graham ??? and myself, entered by my race engineering and preparation business, Felspeed Racing: I ran eight cars at that time and had an International Entrant's license, as part of the business.

Peter and his car, of course, had earlier been campaigned in Modsports under the SRP (Southend Racing Partnership) banner, with Peter, Olly Thatcher and Alan Daykin driving.

My Midget came from Alan as an unfinished project: it was strangely, based on one of my retail garage customer's road cars which he had managed to very successfully write off!

Which just goes to show how clever or desperate we were at that time!

Peter beech's car was the most interesting: it was ex Robin Widdows and Roger Enever. Roger was the son of Sid Enever then BLMC's Director of Manufacturing and Roger had smuggled into the Abingdon plant during shutdown a raft of NS4 Aircract spec Dural sheet and proceeded to press out two or three complete sets of MG Midget body shells! What this did to the press tools one can only shudder to think............................

The car was assembled with rivets and synthetic adhesive, on a standard steel floor and chassis leg platform. Robin went on to set a class lap record at Nurbergring in this very lightweight Midget. Powered by an ex works F3 Dry Sump XSP engine.

After John Britten and Gabby Konig had set the World alight in their E Type killers (which John built at Arkley from ally and glass and used eight port heads and fuel injection) in the 60s, the regs were tightened and cars had to consist of original material - i.e. mild steel in the Midget's case) between front and rear axle centres.

The scrutes would check this using a simple magnet. So, I had to rapdiyl develop a cunning plan!

Pete's car went in to the bodyshop and we slit the rear wheel arches and slid some mild steel plate up; resealed the arches and re-painted the wing.

I can remember dear old Fred Mathews (? I think?), the senior RAC Scrutineer looking with amazement as his magnet slid from the top of the rear wing and shuddered to a halt! I suggested this was because of the new high slip factor silicon wax we were using to reduce air resistance! Fred begrudingly tried and tried again and eventually signed off the ticket!

They were happy and very pleasant times: good competition and a great bunch of people, as we always found at the old Burkett Trophy (Six Hour Relay) at Thruxton.

Only pics I have scanned: my Midget first race at Lydden, before it had even gone into the paint shop!
Attached Thumbnails
MG_Race_Lyd.71.jpg   MG-Pit71.jpg