Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2362363)   #68
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Williams on the basis of testing last winter and Robergs place in Australia looked as though it may be in for a good year in 2008.
Ultimately development didn't appear to keep pace with the others or something happened but in several races later in the year they really lost their way, especially in qualifying and it all went pear shaped.

I think the initial car was fine. Were the engines not Toyota's top shelf ? or was the problem closer to home. Rosberg also seemed to lose heart towards the end of the year. I respect sam Michael but there have been several seasons that started promisingly under his guidance but then they lost their way? So is there a problem somewhere in teh technical department.

Is it just money? Or is something else amiss?
They were losing too much downforce in the turns. Either they still didnt understand something about the distortion of the Bridgestones or theres still something out of sync in the aero department.

Quote:
I think RBR has learn't a lot. STR didn't have the same budget or technical expertise but got on top of the same chassis better than RBR did? Why was that? Drivers? Engines? Better technical application and managment?
STR chose not to run as much forward ballast as RBR apparently, which influenced what aero parts they wanted to achieve a certain centre of aero pressure. RBR lost their way about half way through the year with one of their aero updates, and consequently STR rose up about the same time.

The engines of course had an effect. If the Ferrari was indeed 30hp more powerful then they can run longer gearing and more wing. Having a more rearward centre of pressure also gives more drag, which would be offset by having more power.