View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2416095)   #56
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I highly doubt that those times are fact, but the 10% drop in power may be fairly insignificant-I'll bet you that the R15's torque and power is probably at least equal to what Audi claimed in the R10's press release in 2006(650+hp and 1100nm+/810+ft/lbs), and we all know that real life figures are probably close to those quoted by Peugeot(700hp and 885ft/lbs).

Sebring has plenty of sections where handling is as important(if not more important) than sheer brute power. I doubt that 1:39-1:40 are possible, but 1:42's and maybe 1:41's are possible-just imagine what an R10 with slightly less power and torque but with more downforce(inspite of the wing reduction) and weight distrubution closer to the optimal 50/50 split could do, or even an R8 that's had as much R&D done to it as the R10 and R15 have had done.

I think that based on Acura's times from testing and Peugeot's struggles to make the 908 competitive under the new regs(adapting an old car to new rules), the Audi R15 may be easily 1-2, maybe even 3 seconds a lap faster on a clear flyer.

And there's reliablity, which is somewhat of an unknown with the R15. However, the Audi R10 was a good training ground as it was the first of it's kind. I doubt that most of those problems will surface on the R15-having slightly less power may make the car more relialble. My only big concern is the electrical system, being the first of it's kind(lithium ion battery being the main electrical power source), and the R15 did have a minor electrical glitch at a test in Italy(where the R15 photos first sufaced).

However, Acura's power steering system has seemed to be a lacuna coil of problems-perhaps they're regreting the wide front tires deal now, especially if they can't get those issues fixed soon. Add a high revving flatcrank V8 to the mix, they may have problems. And the Pug hasn't been particularly reliable, ever-reliablity has cost them both years at Le Mans, in the LMS, and the Pug's inerter damper system doesn't like bumpy racetracks.

If the Audis can hold together long enough(which they usually do), Sebring may be their's for the taking. We may find out on Wind Tunnel from Mr. McNish how things are going-but don't expect any earth-shattering announcements.