View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2541288)   #17
Mach3
Rookie

Mach3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
My point was more to the fact that they have dropped off the pace dramatically since the start of the season, but I can't see why that is. I mean, D'Ambrosio was sitting 2nd in the championship after getting 3 podiums in the first 4 races, but since his 2nd place at Monaco results haven't been there, likewise for Kobayashi.

So in terms of assessing driver talent, I find it hard to do because like I say I rate both of them highly, but something went wrong somewhere! Otherwise I agree about the 'best' GP2 drivers being Hulkenberg, Di Grassi, Perez, Parente etc.
This is kind of what I meant in starting the thread - it's not easy to assess talent in series like GP2 because so much seems to depend on the teams, and it seems to change throughout the season. I would definitely agree that Perez has been impressive, but other than that how easy is it to tell? Remember Piquet was very good in GP2 but really failed to make the grade in F1, even before the whole crashgate scandal. It seems crazy that drivers are spending silly money (over £1 million a season apparently) for GP2 and yet they still aren’t getting a fair opportunity to show what they can do because someone else can always spend that bit more and get in a better team.

If you were to put everyone in equal machinery, I’m convinced you’d get a totally different set of results in GP2. I’m willing to bet that Soucek would’ve been right at the sharp end throughout his time there if the championship was operated in the same way as F2, i.e. on a level playing field. I think it was actually quite an astute move switching series and his stock is much higher than it was a year ago. He deserves a shot at F1.

I would certainly like to see how drivers like Maldonado would fare in something like F2, it could well help determine who is the real deal or not...