Thread: Indy Popularity
View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2585836)   #205
joey31
Rookie

Australia
Newcastle
joey31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Aussie motor racing fan here.. I have been reading through your posts and thought I’d write something regarding the surfer’s race and what I think could help to make the IRL a bit better.

I hope that the IRL will eventually come back to surfers having attended the race for a few years I was very disappointed when the IRL decided not to return it was great watching the aussie boys on home soil try to beat the best in the IRL.I honestly don’t think the money side of things was the biggest issue I think it was more the scheduling. The Queensland government from what I have read want the race in October and October only because that is the slowest tourist time of the year and having the surfer’s race boosted tourism in the lead up to our summer. Let’s just hope that they can come to some sort of compromise so that the IRL will be back at surfers soon.

About the IRL as a whole I remember watching the gold coast race as a teenager thinking how amazing the race looked, from the fast cars driving so close to the walls to seeing the beach in the background as they drove up the back straight, the crowds it was something I really wanted to experience live. Now that im older and having attended the race a few times it was just as I thought a great 4 days of racing and excitement, but looking now at the IRL racing in the USA mainly the oval tracks it doesn’t look that exciting, like something I really want to see live. This is where I think they need to fix things make the race: as in the whole race weekend look more inviting to people watching at home to make them want to go see a race live and enjoy the atmosphere. This is where verses can help showing things from behind the scenes, not just the racing but what the drivers do in the lead up to races let the people watch get to know the drivers, so that they can know who to support.

I think I will stop here for now, this is just what I think could help even in a small way. Great thread!!