View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2610538)   #45
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post

I think Istel sponsored Tim Harvey during his 1986 Formula Ford days, which likely account for his Istel backing on the prod saloon Sierra in 1987 and makes perfect sence on the BTCC Vitesse.
The 1986 TT winning Vitesse of Jeff Allam and Denny Hulme actually carried Istel backing as well.

Jesper
Yes, now you mention it, I'm sure I remember Istel backing Harvey's works Quest in FF1600 as well- I think they were 'the sponsorship required to return to single seaters'
mentioned in this profile
http://www.supertouring.co.uk/drivers/tim_harvey.html
as they also backed the Rover Prodsaloon drive. I'm trying to think who his team-mate was in the production Rover- I'm sure was definitely a 2-car team, though plans were messed up when Tim broke his ankles in an FF shunt. Possibly Bristow, but I'm sure a couple of other drivers appeared.

As you said, Istel sponsored the Allam/Hulme TWR Rover that won the '86 TT. Harvey's car appeared in the '87 race, and as I recall appeared as the front cover pic on the programme.

The '87 programme pic might be the one that appears on the Harvey profile linked above- its definitely familiar. The TWR/Istel paintjob from '86 was different to the 1987 Harvey version- the prodsaloons were similar to the TWR car
Attached Thumbnails
Istel.jpg  

Last edited by KA; 9 Jan 2010 at 16:20.