View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2615225)   #480
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Things have happened, but progress has taken some time!

The headers were all tacked together and sent for tig welding and with fingers crossed that they would not distort too much. Things are very close in the chassis area.

Here they are before final welding:

£315 of labour and materials later they were back, and one side even fitted! The other needed a pipe cutting and a slip joint making and welded on and that side dropped on too. (phew)

Bolted back onto the engine, the clutch back in, the gearbox leak having been fixed (gasket) and the lot positioned for the drop into the chassis:

Of course, it fouls the chassis.

The one tube 'just' touches the chassis, so after a bit of thinking I decided to raise the whole drive train 12mm, just 4 cuts and that will be that.

Well, nearly.

The front crossmember was cut (again) to raise the front. All done and trial fitted, I jacked the box up to level the drive train in the chassis and pondered cutting the gearbox cross member which is quite complex. After cutting and welding it went back in, still cooling down after some of the nicest mig welds I've done.

It just looked terrible!

So, out with the hacksaw again, and cut all the work I had done for the last hour and welded in some more tubes which look really nice in comparison.

A lick of paint on both before roast beef and tonight all is dry and ready to be installed.

The headers are noe 10mm clear of ecerything and I can start to button all the supplies up this week.

Brakes are back with fresh surfaces on the discs and 2 new mastercylinders too all for £160!

On saturday went and bought a Brian James trailer second hand and carried on to York to drop-off my precious Dymag wheels which were both damaged.

however, the most precious on is badly buckeled and I think is scrap and the other is better but stands a good chance.

Magnesium wheels are not very strong.

If both are scrap I am in deep (expensive) trouble....

It's getting busy and lots yet to do and only 8 weeks to go!