View Single Post
Old 22 Jan 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2617705)   #44
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Thank you for the fact, chunterer. Looking at Frank's site
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...Donington.html
does tell of another Rover 1-2-3 victory, although Soper was rested for the race it seems.

To re-build the car and painting it up in the regular colours seems sensible enough. I don't know weather the Bastos letters were painted or a set of stickers, but would not be my first choice to apply if the car was relegated to that of a spare, time consuming as it would be.
Regarding the missing Bastos signature I looked at a few British F1 Grand Prix pictures of Lotus, McLaren and Zakspeed running without tobacco advertising ..at the Marlboro British Grand Prix! This would have effected a BTCC race at Brands Hatch too, I would suspect?

Jesper
There's a pic of the Brands car in the Motoring News report, but unfortunately it's a head-on shot in black & white, and the printing is fairly dark. The car clearly carries race number '3' on the bonnet, and certainly looks as if it's in basic Bastos colours. It's hard to tell much else from it, although the rollcage appears to be white...

Without reading the whole Rover thread to check, as I remember, Ken Clarke told us at some point that early cars had steel rollcages and were painted black inside, and later cars had alloy cages and were painted white- the change coming around 1984/5. Certainly most Bastos car pics show cars with white interiors, whereas earlier cars (Fleet, Hepolite, Sanyo) seem to be predominantly black.

Re the signwriting, the Brands car doesn't just lack not just missing the Bastos lettering- Comparing it with this pic of a car in 'non-Bastos' guise at the Nurburgring in '85,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...e_19850706.jpg , the Brands car also lacks the 'Texaco' lettering on the white band between the headlights- there's a prominent 'Dunlop' decal in it's place. I'm guessing that the absence of Bastos lettering at Brands wasn't just down to tobacco advertsing restrictions, but probably because Bastos simply weren't paying the bills for a race outside the ETCC schedule?