View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2010, 06:02 (Ref:2738583)   #33
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post

Very true. However:

I believe this is where the problem lies. Red Bull quite rightly state that their wing passes the load tests. But if at high speed the end of their wing is dipping below the reference plane, it is in contravention of the regulations.

It is possible I have misunderstood the complaint McLaren and co were putting forward, but I believe this is accurate.

Taking your point and running with it.

Say you every day road car has a 2 litre engine. Usually if you look up the specs its actually 1990cc or something similar.

But i think its pretty safe to assume that the boffins designing F1 engines would be running right on the limit, so a 2.4L 90deg V8 would be 2400cc

Now im no expert in thermal-dynamics, but are you telling me there would be no difference in the capacity of the engine when its sitting cold in parc ferme or zinging down the straight at 18000rpm.
Im sure an F1 engine generates a lot of heat, and as far as i know when a metal is heated it expands.
So is it not possible that while the car is driving down the straight at 18000rpm the capacity is not exceeding 2.4L by at least a small margain?