View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2787707)   #246
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Nico Hülkenberg took a sensational pole position in Brazil that showed once more the values of a talented driver to a midfield team. Williams are yet to confirm their driver line up for next season with Pastor Maldonado heavily linked with the team but they would be better to take a driver based on ability rather than take a driver based on budget.

Hülkenberg started the season poorly but has developed well throughout the summer. It is worth noting that with a lack of preseason testing that rookie drivers take quite a few races to finally gain equivalent mileage to what we saw the likes of Hamilton acquiring before his rookie season. As a result rookies need to be given time to come to terms with the demands of Formula 1.

The team have already financed the development of Hülkenberg and turned him into a consistent point scorer and a driver gaining in respect amongst the field. By scoring points the German was able to move Williams into sixth in the constructors’ championship. If Williams take the decision to let Hülkenberg leave the team it will be a clear indication that the team is in a perilous financial state.
Taking the last point first, by moving Williams into 6th place in the constructors' championship Hülkenberg will have earned them a big increase in the TV money pay out, provided they keep the place in Abu Dhabi. That alone may be more than Maldonado may be bringing to the team, so unless they have desperate cash-flow problems they would do much better to keep him.

Regarding Hülkenberg's development, that does seem to be how he is when he's learning something new. When it happened it the F3ES I thought it was down to adapting to the high grip/not enough power F3 car after the opposite in A1GP.

Maybe it was and that's why he was so quick straightaway in GP2, which has good grip and good power, so it was a combination of the two. Either way, I totally agree that the lack of testing is a big drawback for drivers like him.

PS I don't mean this to sound impertinent but in the heading instead of putting: "Five things I think following the Brazilian Grand Prix", why don't you try something simpler such as: "Five thoughts [I have] following the Brazilian Grand Prix." Just an idea.