View Single Post
Old 22 Dec 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2807449)   #105
driverider
Rookie

driverider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART Racing View Post
I should get on here more often, some great photos guys.

I have been trying to work out the history of the car for sale as well. I have lots of photos of the car and the spares with it from the previous owner a couple of years ago, and all I know is:

The parts with the car are definitely genuine TTGB Group A Supra components; they are in many cases identical to my car and were clearly built by the same people. The engine isn't an original nor is the injection system etc but everything else appears to be correct, and the spares would allow you to get it back to Group A spec.

The car isn't the original Hughes Group A Rally car, as that was left hand drive. It isn't the first circuit car, as that is in my shed.

The car is an original Group A car as it has Group A rally history in the period; that would be sufficient to get it logbooked in Australia and I assume elsewhere. Many of the component locations (fuel pumps, positions of brake calipers etc) are Rally specific: for example, pumps are underneath the boot floor on the circuit cars to lower C of G and cool them, in the rally car and this one they are in the boot.

What I don't know is the origin of the shell, and whether it is one of the two Sheene cars (mine was never driven by Barry). Car 2 was written off and I assume many of you have seen the video; the alloy cage would not survive that. Car 3 was also written off in 1986 when leased out, but not as badly as far as I understand; I have never seen photos but did corresponsd with the family of the driver. So two options: the car is circuit car No 3 repaired and converted to a rally car, or it is the remains, all the spares and an ex Toyota fleet road car put together in the latter half of 1986 as a way of at least being able to sell all those spares off for some return. I do not have any information which would point to which of those is correct, you would need to see all the documentation with the car which I have not done. Or trace the owner who rebuilt it.

And then buy it and sell me all the spares!

John
Hi following on from the advert some questions

Is it just conjecture that car 2 as you describe them was written off or was that confirmed by Toyota GB or Hughes?

Is there a chassis register for these cars?

There was a guy 'ADAM' in earlier 2005 posts that was looking for pictures to rebuild this or a similar car - is he still around?