View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3032403)   #2
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really does depend on the car. 90% of all cars will not be fussy. Most performance cars will run knock sensors and have adaptable maps - so will run either, but you may loose 2% peak power - so what on the road?

Some performance cars though - super cars (ferrari, lambo, aston etc...) and also Evo's have very specific non-variable engine maps. So they are made using a 99 RON or whatever fuel, and the map is set to always run on the performance limit of the fuel - regardless of load. This means that if you use a lower grade fuel then you will suffer engine knock issues which reduces power, fuel consumption and engine life. More advanced maps will only run on the fuels limit when on 100% load.

So if you are buying a 'normal car' it will make sod all difference! The other advantage of 'super fuel' is more down to fuel quality. It is significantly cleaner and has a lot of cleaners in the mix, so looks after engines better. In my motor I get more milage per £ with super than normal as it suits my map. Just try each on a set run over a week and see.