View Single Post
Old 7 May 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3070727)   #28
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think both of those fatal accidents forced a lot of changes in regards to safety. It forced a rethink on how exposed the drivers head was in an F1 car, barrier design, helmet design, head and neck restraints, suspension wishbone design and tethers, etc. Nearly 2 decades later, the fastest open wheel formula in the world hasn't had a fatality since, knock on wood. I think that is a pretty good record considering. You have to give the FIA and F1 credit for improving safety, rather than what many people or organizations would do, which is talk big and apply band aid solutions.
Well I feel it's sad really the 2 deaths we've had in the sport since Senna are swept under the carpet, as if driver fatalities are the only ones that matter and the Marshals who were killed at Monza and Melbourne are inconsequential.

Also I would hope F1 won't rush into any kind of foolish canopy suggestion, because that is going to cause more trouble that it is worth.
Any kind of rollover scenario will ensure the driver being trapped until the marshals can get to him and then I'd dread to think what could happen to him in that time.

As for what would've happened if Senna had lived post Imola, well he was convinced of Schumacher's car's illegality so perhaps with the biggest name in the sport pushing for Benetton to be checked and double checked Schumacher wouldn't have had such a car advantage and Senna could reel his points advantage in over the course of the season.