View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3096803)   #8
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the event being axed as too negative a prospect. Without turning this into a political/fiscal argument, it seems more appropriate that financial ties be severed sooner, rather than later.
If the event can't survive as one predominantly independent in nature, there's a pretty decent argument against it's existence - at least, in current form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
If you have the Bathurst 1000, Adelaide, Aussie GP or events like the Daytona 500 or Le Mans 24 I can see funding it because they probably bring tourists, but who comes to Queensland from overseas to watch the Gold Coast 600????
This is pretty much it. Considering the public funding required, there's minimal economic gain for the region. It's simply not worth the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Would it be worth it, for qld, later down the track, to try and get the LMP1 cars here?
This is likely a much more expensive exercise. Considering Australia's been overlooked (as a region of market worth) for both WEC, and (provisional) AsLMS calendars, any such event seems unlikely without state funding - evidently, there's a lack of which available.

As much as I'd like to see either WEC or, AsLMS visit the region, it's fiscally irresponsible for the state to provide funding for such an event in present circumstances.