View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3159308)   #3817
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The difference between this and the R8's 04 endplates is that the R8's was a hallow box that the air blew directly through. The Toyota solution is very similar to the Pescarolo solution where the outer endplate connected to the inner one by a diveplane shaped winglet, basically a single element wing section. It was allowed on the Pescarolo because there was no rule at the time banning or discouraging it.

With the Toyota deal, it's clearly a loophole due to the shoddy wording of the ACO's rules and the ACO's selective enforcement of said rules. And as I've said, it won't hurt Audi long term, because they have a solution ready to go for '13. But it does pressure the private teams, who don't have such huge R&D budgets.

And as for thoughts on the AWD vs RWD hybrid stuff mentioned in the LM regs thread, I'm not sure if I'm in favor of doing away, at least entirely, with the 120kmh limit. I'm in favor or lowering it, or slapping RWD hybrids with a limit to help out not only Audi, but also the private teams who can't run hybrids. Based on Bahrain and Shanghai, Rebellion wouldn't be a ton slower than the TS030 if it was without the hybrid system.

The big problem with the Audi R18 hybrid system is that it favors faster tracks, like Le Mans, Spa, and most ALMS-type tracks that are faster and have more flow to them than the F1 Tilkedromes like Shanghai and Bahrain. Even Interlogos, which isn't a stereotypical (not counting Sepang, COTA or India) Tilke design, has so many 1st and 2nd gear corners that it favors the Toyota hybrid system.

Besides, there are rules being developed to give breaks to private teams, and I think that TMG might have the most to lose, especially if Audi can convince the ACO that they're at an unfair disadvantage with the hybrid or even diesel engine rules. This is a political game now, and Peugeot (who seemed to get the ACO to bend over backwards on the hybrid stuff) no longer have the ACO's or the FIA's ear, since they bailed out.