View Single Post
Old 27 Dec 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3182305)   #45
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Problem with that is that You might find Yourself at the very back of the grid with much more suitable machinery in front, getting lapped 2or 3 times.Rudolf
Which is why the series I run in NZ runs one scratch race (no series points) then two handicap races, for series points. Handicaps are assessed only on proven track performance not some convoluted formula that never works fairly anyway.

The format works so well that we ended up with enough for two grids, so they are now separated by speed, meaning that no car gets lapped in a handicap race and all drivers get the 8 laps they have paid for. It also means that we have a huge variety of cars, which is one of the main objectives.

I am now in my 17th year of running it this way and it means that you can run a highly developed V8 or a modest 4 cylinder, though we do demand that even the slowest cars can meet a specific target time. Slower than that and they take part in what we term a Classic Reliability Trial where the driver merely has to circulate as close to his/her nominated lap time as possible.