View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3257940)   #9
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Not sure GP racing in the top class is more competitive, I don't think the bikes are any closer and there are only tw good bikes now without the Suzuki Kawasaki and Ducati of years back, but certainly you have a group of riders who are. and three maybe four or five are now a match for Valentino and better.
Yeah, that's what I meant in terms of riders and not machinery I dont remember too many times it's been closer. You look at the Doohan era and Valentino's dominance and both riders only really had one rider to beat for each championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I also think he isn't prepared to go right to the edge like he did now, since the crash. And I also happen to believe he is carrying a legacy of shoulder problems. I don't expect Spies to race again for the same reason, ask Fogarty, Hodgson, they messed up their shoulders and were never able to ride properly again, it's a very bad, possibly the most crucial place to break bones. Hands, legs and feet can be repaired, but shoulder injury is nearly always permanent, and I believe Rossi is carrying the legacy of that still.

He certainly has never been the same since, nothing like in fact.
Definitely agree about the shoulder injuries. It's made even worse now with the carbon brakes putting so much force through the shoulder muscles. If you've any weakness youre screwed. It's strange with Rossi in so far as he showed at the end of 2010 (Motegi and Sepang) that he could still race at the front but it's been fits and starts with him since he came back. I think that he's no longer capable of winning titles in MotoGP but I've seen enough to think that he can still win a few races but like you said he's not been the same rider since the start of 2010