View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3284785)   #35
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think most of the grid would be filled with F1 drivers and former/future F1 drivers.

I think only Loeb and Ogier have the talent to make the transition from rally to F1. Loeb is too old, so that leaves only Ogier for me.

From two wheels, Stoner maybe but he would need to prove himself. Rossi is too old to start a transition to F1 now. There was a chance before, but it's gone now.

From NASCAR, Jimmie Johnson surely has the talent (though he is 37). Kyle Busch and Hamlin have impressed me with their talent in Nascar as well, so maybe them too.

From prototypes, Audi's best drivers are Duval and Lotterer, but they were soundly beaten by Nakajima in Super Formula last year, so there would be some hesitation. Toyota's drivers are all (bar Lapierre) ex-F1 pilots. Best of the rest for me is Heidfeld, and he's an ex-F1 driver as well.

From GT, the best driver is Maxime Martin. I guess in this hypothetical world he would deserve a shot.

From other senior level single-seaters, I don't think anyone quite has the talent to be more than a below average F1 driver. The best Indycar driver on road courses is Will Power, right? Will Power didn't impress all that much in FR3.5, 7th place in a field that retrospectively yielded only Kubica as a top single-seater driver. I wouldn't take any driver from Super Formula either.

In any case, it's hard to judge how drivers from other racing disciplines can do in F1. It's hard enough to properly evaluate prospective drivers from lower formula, nevermind completely different disciplines.