View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3334941)   #58
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MotoGp still has its moments, but I think it was at its absolute best in about 2006 and has lost a bit of its magic since then. I'm using that season as an example because it had everything, (except a competitive Brit of course) - a superstar in Valentino Rossi, lots of different manufacturer teams, very competitive satellite teams, a feeling of a 'changing of the guard' with youngsters like Pedrosa and Stoner first coming to prominence, close racing, tight finishes, shock results (Elias' win at Estoril, Hayden winning the championship), loads of potential winners, Ducati at their most competitive, it was bright, it was vivid, it was exciting and it had a huge future. It continued very strongly after but I dunno, maybe was always going to run out of steam a bit.

Thing is, it hasn't really but that's due to the Spanish backing and I think the Spanish dominance has alienated people in the UK. On paper it still looks pretty strong and now we have Crutchlow too - three of the all-time greats at the top of their game in Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Marquez, with Rossi there too and still winning. Crutchlow could easily have got a win this season. Monster Tech3 show that the competitive satellite team is still alive and well, and MotoGP has survived the retirement of Stoner much better than it might have expected. On the flipside the CRTs are a bit of a sideshow, like half a grid made up of Marussias and Caterhams rather than four slots at the back. Ducati are sh*t.

And that bloody TV deal. That boils my p*ss because its probably the absolute worst thing to do with a series with dwindling interest in this country - stick it somewhere most people won't be able to watch it, genius.

So much as I still love MotoGP, I won't be able to see it next year anyway.