Thread: Tech Issue 2014 Pre Season Testing Thread
View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3362181)   #59
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I have no idea how this work, but would a company like Renault review the proposed packaging of the powertrain components by looking over a given team's design before it was created, or would they just have experts available to answer questions as needed. In short, do they give teams a rope to hang themselves, babysit (look over shoulder), or something in between?

And I assume that there is a basic set of specs/documentation that comes with each powertrain. Stuff like "3 mm of space around this area", "X amount of cooling needed here", "Install this side up!"

I can imagine private finger pointing between RBR and Renault.

Renault: We told you not to do that!
RBR: You never said that? You specs clearly allows it!

Richard
Your question puts me in mind to the situation last year, in particular, between the teams and Pirelli. It would seem, or so it is alleged, that Pirelli provided all the teams with the operating parameters for the tyres supplied, i.e. pressures, camber, etc.,and that it is further alleged that certain teams chose to ignore the advice/instructions of Pirelli. And it was alleged that because those teams were operating the tyres ouside of the operating parameters that they were experiencing tyre failures.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe that Adrian Newey may have have ignored/over-ridden Renault's engine or exhaust "packaging" in the last couple of years in his obsession to wrap everything up tightly. And this was the cause of overheating problems that RBR had during early testing.

It would seem to me, and I am certainly not an expert, that the main problems that the Renault-engined teams are suffering from stem from over-heating. One wonders whether Renault, at the insistance of their "premier" team, have attempted to wrap up the power-unit (it is no longer just a petrol driven engine) into a much too small package which is leadind to the results that we are now witnessing.