Thread: Team Changes at Ferrari
View Single Post
Old 23 May 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3409337)   #72
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's it!? That's your concrete evidence that Alonso was responsible for Domenicali's decision to quit??

Thanks for providing the 'evidence'. But it does not prove a thing, and I'll stick with what Alonso himself said about Domenicali's decision than the crap you've come up with.

Alonso was the second person Stefano called after he made the decision to quit. First call was to Montezemolo. Alonso had great respect for Stefano, and vise versa. They were very close. Had the same ambitions for the team. And at times, they both tried too hard or over stepped the mark. And when they did, the other was always the first to offer his opinion, suggestions or a talking to if needed. It was a respectful - professional relationship, and a close friendship.

I have no evidence that Alonso wasn't - or even was the reason Domenicali quit. But from hearing Alonso speak post Domenicali's sudden decision, and reading some of Alonso's comments in the media, I have no doubt Alonso was just as surprised to hear about Stefano quitting as was the rest of the SF team, and the F1 world. Alonso, like many others believed Stefano was a scapegoat to the real issues at Ferrari. His comment pre China GP ("In this race, we will not improve by one second, because Stefano wasn't doing the front wing or the rear wing...) was cheeky, but says a lot about what he believes the issues are. But something had to give, and Stefano was it.

BTW, what has come to light recently is that this was to be Domenicali's last year in F1 anyway. Domenicali has revealed to a Italian journalist that no matter how Ferrari faired this season, even if they were to win a championship, it was to be his last year in F1.

Some of Alonso's comments post Domenicali's decision, and pre China GP are below. Taken from Sky Sports F1 and James Allen on F1.

"Stefano is a great man, first of all, and I am a close friend of his - that is no secret. We still have a close relationship, we have been talking throughout the week, and that will continue because we have known each other for many years.

"As a Team Principal he made good choices and did good things. We had missed opportunities in 2012 and 2010, and they missed an opportunity with Felipe in 2008. If not, he would have three championships in the pocket.

“I think he brought in Pat Fry, he brought James Allison, Raikkonen, so I think all the things that people ask from him he was giving to them. The results in sport are important and the pressure at Ferrari is also quite big, so he made his decision and we will try to move forward in different directions but try to move forward.”

"We need to accept what Stefano decided. He wasn't in the mood to continue with the feeling of having everything on his shoulders. We need to respect his decision."

And post Chinese GP, after finishing on the podium - Alonso said:

"Obviously this podium is dedicated to him in a way because probably all the parts from now until July or August are coming from the team working under Stefano, so hopefully we can give some great Sundays at home in front of the TV to Stefano."

Reading those comments, it sure doesn't sound to me that Alonso wanted Domenicali out of the team. In fact, I think it was the last thing Alonso needed.