View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3418619)   #79
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good way to calculate a gravel trap is by doing it as a function of speed, the speed is a function of how long you have to accelerate and always assume the worst case scenario, say it's raining and you totally lost it even before starting the braking, or think about two motorcycles touching each other at the worst moment, one of them will make the turn the other one will be sent to the gravel trap at full or almost full speed, so you reserve 10%-20% of the total distance for run off(my rule of the thumb) so if main straight is 1000mt (you can top out any vehicle) you will need at least 100mt of straight run off( P.I. has 200 at T1 due to the speed of approach)
That said, you don't really need to have the full 100m circling around the turn but you taper it off as the curve straightens up but maintaining a good amount to allow pilots to resolve any problem happening at the exit phase. Take a look at Quatar, Valencia, Brno, Mugello and all the GP tracks and you will see perfectly executed gravel traps.