View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3432344)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I don't think you can read anything into the weight P38:

" With the concept tyre designed principally to showcase aesthetics rather than performance, and a general-purpose compound, lap times were not the focus. Instead, the objective was to gauge reaction to the very different new design, which received the thumbs up from most observers."

A large rim with a low profile tyre properly designed should always be lighter than the same diameter wheel with a high profile tyre. I guess they just machined up a handy set of aluminium road wheels to do the demonstration laps!

The low profile tyres provide a bigger more stable contact patch for the same wheel diameter, and would avoid the tyre resonance issues, you sometimes see huge tyre shake in the super slow motions after a wheel jumps a kerb.

The only reason that super low profiles are not the best road tyres is that the public roads are not smooth and full of ruts and potholes which the low profile tyres cannot absorb because of their lack of depth in the side wall to cushion road shock.

On a perfect surface there is no question that a low profile setup is the way to go.
I think you just explained why thank you..