View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3436254)   #39
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
There is a difference in risk taking where it is necessary and where it is not. With the Mercedes, there is no risk necessary and those (including me) who are criticizing him are only pointing out that aspect.

If he had a car that was equally slow as the Ferrari or the McLaren, the risk would have been necessary. He does not, though. Being so aggressive anyways is either red mist or stupid and certainly not a great drive.
I disagree that there was no need to take risks. I also disagree that the risks he took were particular bad ones.

As a racing driver, LH knew he had to get to the front as quickly as possible in order to get on the podium. The fact the the Merc is faster than the rest (well, most of the rest - the Williams is clearly very good in the hands on VB/FM) doesn't negate the fact he needs to get through the field as quickly as he can before the front runners bugger off in to the distance. There's no point is being cautious. That's not going to get you on the podium because it wastes too much time. Fast and decisive is what gets you on the podium.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.