View Single Post
Old 28 Aug 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3448654)   #8
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an interesting thought, Spider. Of course most (or at least many) sports start with all the competitors on a single startline to give them all an equal chance. That's not feasible in motor-racing so we have to have some form of grid system.

Current system: Rewards the competitor who performs best in qually with an advantage in the race. Encourages races to string out quickly because the fastest competitors are already in front of the slower ones. Potentially makes the early laps safer because the faster cars are able to pull away rather than having to overtake.

Spider's suggestion: Introduces a degree of handicapping by putting better performers at the back, but not so much that the fastest won't win. Provides spectators with more overtaking spectacle as the faster drivers work their way to the front. Potentially introduces additional danger as faster and slower competitors concertina together.

The handicapping element of Spider's system would also be beneficial in helping drivers who have been "unlucky". At the moment, if you are unlucky in qualifying your race position is jeopardised. Under this sytem, if you are unlucky in early races so your championship position is not as good asit should be, you are helped by better grid positions.

I think it's an idea that is worthy of serious consideration. Of course some people will say that it is a gimmick only worthy of stock cars and the BTCC (same thing, really ). It couldn't possibly be as bad as double-points races or sparking undertrays though.