Thread: IMSA USCC in 2016 and 2017
View Single Post
Old 9 Oct 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3462713)   #139
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Actually, this is the U.S. manufacturers' dream: a pure branding exercise, with minimal cash outlay. Look at NASCAR, where only the stickers are different, pretty much. Sports car racing is a low-visibility sport, so companies want to get involved for low cash outlays.

Ford and Chevy can stick an engine in a car and get all the publicity they can hope for--and by putting branded bodywork on a spec chassis, they get around the problem of sharing the spotlight with the chassis manufacturer.

Dallara won at Petit, but Coyote definitely won the constructors;' titleā€”but no one anywhere is or ever will talk about that. Chevy won with its "Corvette DP."

The dream of the future for manufacturers is of a huge mass of stupid people glued to their TVs for several hours talking about Chevy and Ford while Riley and Coyote actually fight it out on track.

Yes, DTM and GT500 seem to work; so does NASCAR. So does Aussie V8. That's the problem.

I agree 100 percent: P2 is great now (for what it is) and simply needs a little evolution. Actually, all it really needs is to carry on undisturbed, and in the U.S. where it is the top class, to be opened up a little bit for development in a few limited areas.

The main reason I don't get all excited about those series Clone cars. Same thing that limited Rolex. But the TUSC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Yes, DTM and GT500 do well, but really those are different markets than Traditional Sportscar Fans. While I agree the sport needs more than just the traditional fans, I do wonder after the lose that segment, if they will be able to grow segment based on Spec. It certainly didn't work with Grand Am, and the management hasn't been particularly competent until now... we'll see.
I donno if you guys got my comment. I would like to see DTM/SGT in America, but I dont think they should be the new P2's. BUT, if, a big if, theyre going towards spec aspects and manufacturer 'look alikes', those two could be a basis. If they go that route, they should open it up a bit. Less spec is always better.