View Single Post
Old 24 Dec 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3487608)   #34
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, I admit that I love (have loved) the sound of 'proper' racing engines. The first time I heard the V16 BRM for example (no, I'm not that old, it was a historic by then!) I was amazed.
As an engineer, I also like the technology in motorsport.

My own experience, as a big Touring Car Racing fan from the late 70's to the early 90's, we went from the wailing ford (Capri) V6, through the rumbling SD1 Rivers, finally to the quieter (but phenomenally quick - eventually) turbo cars like the Sierra Cosworth RS 500, I enjoyed each different phase, for different reasons, but accepted that (at whatever time), that was the pinnacle, and irrespective of what they sounded like, if they were quick & spectacular, they made good racing.

Also using my Touring Car comparison example, when the 2 litre Super-Touring era started we had what I think a lot of people think they want now. Screaming & noisy engines fitted to cars that looked similar to last years, but weren't anywhere near as quick (in a straight line), cornered on rails (due to relaxed suspension regulation) and all went at about the same speed, to the only what the car behind could overtake was to bump the car in front out of the way. (This was when it became known that BTCC stood for Bash The Car Clear).

The only 'mistake' I see with the new (and sorry, but road relevant - this is what brings the manufacturers in) engines, it that there was never a cost cap put on them. This wouldn't stop the manufacturers spending £gazillions developing the engines to ensure dominance (if they wanted to), it would just ensure that these engines (or to be more correct, Power Units) would be available at what id considered to be a reasonable cost for the lesser funded teams.
Changing the engine regulations will only alienate the major manufacturers who are currently involved, but this time when they leave, there are no Judds or Cosworths (I know the company is still going, but they're not producing F1 type engines anymore) to pick up the pieces and keep the sport going.

We've had just one season of the new regulations, and OK, Mercedes have been pretty dominant, but the other manufacturers should now start to catch up. We've all seen examples of where drivers have struggled to control the combined power of these Power Units, and compared to 'The Good Old Days', mechanical reliability has been pretty damned good.

Personally I'm amazed that there is so much antipathy toward these new engines just because they sound funny!, surely there is more to Motor-Racing than that?

Last edited by JeremySmith; 25 Dec 2014 at 16:30. Reason: A little easier to read....