View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2015, 06:23 (Ref:3489673)   #13
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Fair call to bring me up on that point Icarus. You are right, compared to what? I guess my comments come from my own chats with team owners who say you need a minimum of 250k to run a car in ST. Some teams are pouring double that figure, but only a handful at best. So yes, it is hard to compare apples with apples, but i would like to know what it costs to run a single tlx car taking into account their races are in the most part, shorter than ST races.
I always remember a 'lecture' i received from Andy Booth when i was invited out to AV8 in Kumeu to oogle over the ST prototype. He told me of NZV8 TL teams spending up to 50k a year just on one part/component alone to eek out that extra 10th or so. This was one of the main things that made me think that the common chassis and components formula was a perfect fit for us in NZ.
And lets be fair here, compared to DVS or V8SC, ST is a bargain.

Stu

Hi Stu, lets deal with some fact here, nobody but nobody is "pouring double that figure" i.e.. $250K per season

Most ST teams are spending less than $250K, many are spending less than $200K, and some are spending less than $150K per season.

The NZV8 Component you talked about was the engine, and all the top NZV8's had to have two engines and two gearboxes, less than 50% ST teams own a second engine, which now costs $28K for a brand new blue printed engine. Only few ST Team carry a second gearbox.

A Toyota or Nissan TLX engine will cost a lot more than $30K, and cost very similar monies to run as an ST. Just ask Steve Varney he has run both and that is what he told me at Puke a month ago.