View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3499854)   #81
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
And what has that got to do with it? HD is used 340 days a year and is a viable business. Are you saying a local club relying entirely on volunteers would somehow do a better job?

Highland Park was initially set up as a Country Club with a track for member's use. It now has serious money behind it and is therefore more advanced than HD which never has had massive finance behind it.

Taupo is (I think) owned by the council but relies heavily on the Taupo Car Club to operate.

By all means be proud of what you have got down there, but with land and housing values being what they are around these parts, we are very lucky we actually have access to two local tracks at all.

North of the Harbour bridge, there is nothing, not even a kart track, even though there were tentative plans not so long ago, based on the perceived success of the Whangarei Street race in January 2000, which sparked a fair bit of local interest.

Even the wealthiest car club around here would be hard pushed to buy even 10 acres of virgin land way up on the Kaipara Harbour, let alone anywhere with decent access and infrastructure. You can't rewrite history and times have changed - dramatically.
Yes, quite. And given that HD cost a hell of a lot of money to build why would a single car club even consider doing that when, as Ray says, there are two tracks within an hour of Auckland.

I don't have $600 to spend on a weekend to watch car racing, sorry to say. If it's over $50 I'd have to think twice about it. I am purely a spectator, not a competitor, which means I don't have a truck load of money to play with.

I know what you mean about kings' ransoms though! I went for a beer at a central city pub the other day and it was $10 for less than a pint - you can actually get a scotch fillet steak at another pub up the road for the same price! Which I did, the next week.

I think bars have forgotten that you can actually buy a dozen good quality imported beer for around $17 at the supermarket.