View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2015, 12:28 (Ref:3514796)   #673
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
For example, you just have to look at the resurgance in the popularity of the NFL over here, since Channel 4 started showing live games again, even though Sky still have most of the broadscasting rights.
That is the perfect solution. No free major channel will show lots of games. They have one game a week and that lets many see it.
However we also have sky and they show many games a week. I remember times when I got to see more games than my US friend in New York because of sky.

Until there was satellite or cable we never would have got endurance racing on telly.

There is very much a place for sky or pay TV. Take rugby, until sky (now BT Sport) came along there was no way I'd be able to watch a Premiership or European game a week, let alone several.

Of course F1 isn't structured like that. Only on every fortnight, so the balance isn't right. It is also much more sponsorship driven.
Not every sport has the same solution.

Free telly isn't the savior for all and sky isn't pure evil.