Thread: Lola T222
View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3521619)   #45
davidpozzi
Rookie

davidpozzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
This weekend I spoke with the current owner of 222/2. His version of events is consistent with what I suggested one post up here. 220/1 was destroyed, Lola had already begun production of the longer wheelbase customer chassis (222), and it just so happened that 222/2 was about ready when 220/1 crashed out, so the new car could be quickly shipped to the USA. Not wanting to disturb the crowds or for other reasosn, they continued to enlist the car as a 220 for the remainder of the season.
In the mean time I found on the Lola heritage site that 222/3 is now owned by Roger Wills, a regular on 10-10ths, and also an avid historic racer, so we may see more of that car pretty soon.
Henry Smith told me the story of how they rebuilt the crashed car in two weeks, changing it from a 220 to a 222. I don't recall all the details so I won't post them here because I can't come back and correct them due to the editing limit. I'll see if I can get Henry to write something up about it. The main reason to not miss the next race was series points for the Can-Am Championship and probably sponsor commitments.

I have seen the tub currently in the car and it looks more like a T220 than a T222. Henry said they had a guy lengthen the 220 body to fit the longer chassis. The extra wheelbase added stability. I had photos but can't find them. If I find them I'll post 'em up.