View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3524772)   #341
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
[FONT=&quot] No. The people who make a Living publishing those magazines Know that it is not grid-girls ... it is the tendency of or men to be more interested in things automotive. Road & Track and Autoweek Know their audience. They know who buys their publications—they have been at it for decades. They Know more men by a huge margin are interested in cars than women are.

And that is fine. It is OKAY if more men like cars more than women do.

How many men buy Elle of Harper's Bazaar or any other fashion/beauty magazine? The audience for those publications is mostly women—BY THE CHOICE OF THOSE MEN AND WOMEN.

Should Harper's Bazaar start running more automotive ads and fewer make-up ads in an effort to attract male readers? Yeah ...

Sorry to tell people the actual facts, but there are general differences between genders. Go do the research. Some women and men cross those general classifications, but it is no accident that women are mostly marketed fashion and beauty and men, more often action and mechanics. There are general gender traits.

The idea that if there were no ads of pretty girls in Motortrend or Road & Track, suddenly women would find those magazines tremendously appealing is garbage.

And as for why more women don't post here ... it's the grid girls right? Really, think before you type.

In much the same way, while a very small minority of women do like racing, anyone who has ever been to a race, even races with No grid girls, knows that the crowd skews heavily male. Just like boxing, for that matter. That's all because of the ring girls, right? Women are dying to watch guys beat each other bloody, but the girl in spandex puts them off.
You are going way to specific in this whole thing.

The Grid Girls is the best example of Motorsport being a "mans" world. If you want to have more girls interested in motorsport, you need to make sure that they feel equally as welcome as a man.
Seeing Grid Girls, and how some fans respond to them, is something I would imagine scarring of most girls (and guys for that matter).
The women I know, and who I've spoke to about motorsport, actually thinks that objectifying female is a major part of the sport, because of grid girls!

Right now, the motorsport and car industry isn't very appealing to girls because of the image it got. I think this is in large parts because of most advertising and shows has an unnatural large showing of Grid Girls, something which, together with Cheerleaders has become a symbol of objectification of females.

Again, If you want to make our sport and industry more welcoming to females, we need to end all matters where a person is hired because of gender. To this, Grid Girls is the prime example of it, and therefor needs to be removed.

In general, this thread has become WAY to personal, and increasingly moving towards personal attacks. (the times the word "you" is used, is increasing)
Let us remember the good custom of "read-break-reply", which hopefully will take off some of the steam.
(I also hope that the admins is having a close watch in here to)